When you’re pregnant, hot, sunny days can feel very uncomfortable. This is because your core body temperature is slightly raised, you have lots of pregnancy-related hormones -which contribute to making you feel warmer than usual - and you’re carrying extra weight.
Looking after yourself and your baby during hot weather is very important, so here are our top tips on how to stay healthy and comfortable when the heat is on.
- Wear loose fitting, light clothing made of natural fibres, such as cotton or silk. Lighter colours will reflect more heat, helping you to keep cool. Cotton underwear is also less likely to cause irritation.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and uncaffeinated fluids. Dehydration impacts both yours and your baby’s health, so keep that water bottle topped up. You can also use chopped fruits to flavour your water.
- Focus on foods that won’t encourage your body temperature to rise, such as carbohydrates. Try snacking regularly to avoid large portions at meal times and eat lighter foods such as salads and fruits where possible. Why not try replacing a white jacket potato for a sweet potato?
- Try to stay in the shade as much as possible and use a high protection sun cream. In some women, hormones in pregnancy can leave patches of darker skin pigmentation.
- Invest in a handheld fan and/or a pocket water spray for your face and body for times when the heat becomes a little too much. Or, spray your body with Spritz for Bits to help feel fresh and clean.
- If your hands and feet become hot and swollen, especially towards the end of your pregnancy make sure you get lots of rest with your feet elevated. Putting your feet in a basin/bucket of cold water - ideally to above the ankles - will also help to soothe and cool them. If you have a willing partner or friend, ask them for a hand or foot massage with your favourite moisturiser. My Expert Midwife’s Fantastic Skin Elastic is ideal for relieving restless legs and soothing itchy, stretching skin.
If you’re looking for further tips on how to stay comfortable during your pregnancy, take a look at our blog on the benefits of pregnancy massage.