10 Key Hospital Bag Essentials
Pregnancy is an exciting time and you’ve probably prepared lots for your new arrival, but what about packing your hospital bag?
There are so many different hospital bag lists it can be difficult to know which essential items should be in there, so with 28 years of midwifery experience between them the My Expert Midwife midwives share their advice on their 10 key essentials to pack in your hospital bag;
- Your hospital or maternity notes - Your midwife will need them
- Pain relief - TENS machines or wheat bags offer effective pain relief for the early part of labour
- Spritz for Bits - Aids a speedy recovery by making sure perineal pain is eased allowing you to be more comfortable so you can enjoy your new arrival. With hundreds of 5* reviews from real new mums, the multi award winning Spritz for Bits is a hospital bag essential
- Comfortable clothes - Comfortable, loose dark coloured clothing that you can wear during labour, an outfit for going home and flips flops
- Baby’s First Outfit - A going home outfit, 2 baby grows & bodysuits, 2 cotton hats, scratch mittens, 10 nappies, a bag of cotton wool and our newest product for baby, No Harm Bum Balm
- Sports drinks, snacks or glucose tablets - Your body requires considerable calories during labour and needs this energy quickly, so drinks such as Lucozade sport, isotonic and carbohydrate or glucose gel sachets are essential. Also take cereal bars, chocolate and easy to eat snacks
- Lip Balm - Many women find that they get dry lips during labour, and our No Harm Nipple Balm can double up as a lip balm as well as being an absolute essential if you’re planning on breastfeeding
- Battery pack charger for phone/tablet - Some hospitals don’t allow you to use their power points so this will allow you to charge your phone so you don’t get caught out when there are people to contact and photos to be taken.
- Your own pillow - Hospital pillows are not the comfiest and tend to be in short supply. Taking something from home introduces your baby to comforting smells and will help to make you feel more comfortable and relaxed while in hospital.
- Toiletry Bag - Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, sanitary pads, breast pads, a hair tie or hairband to keep your hair off your face during labour, and a flannel so you can wash if you aren’t able to shower straight away.
To make your packing even easier, we also have a Mum To Be Gift Set which combines the multi award-winning Spritz for Bits, Fantastic Skin Elastic, Peri Prep your Bits and No Harm Nipple Balm, and comes beautifully wrapped in a white cotton drawstring bag which is ideal for popping in your hospital bag.
For that boost of energy that you will no doubt be needing, try our invigorating, feel-good energy booster Feel the Zing which contains neroli and grapefruit essential oils which help to rejuvenate energy levels.